Saturday 1 September 2012

Day 2 - Bonus Run (Run 2.0)


Zombies, Run! Check.

Killer Playlist. Chickity-check.

Once the sun goes down and the streets go quiet, its on.

The sun went down. I couldn't wait for it to get quiet. I was stretching as it darkened and hit the streets as soon as I thought I would get some good effect from ZR. 

Two regrets; one - I failed to turn on zombie chases which I'm assuming ups the ante significantly. Also, I didn't immediately see where to turn on shuffling which is what I was hoping for. Even so - it was one helluva good run. What's more, it's two major incentive factors for my next run!

This time out I went way longer, way harder, way faster than the last and when I was done I was impressed to find I didn't get the throat and lung hoarseness I had last time. I do feel it in my legs and ankles, maybe moreso tomorrow. Either way, totally worth it. 

Favorite parts of the run were going through the nearly pitch black school grounds and seeing someone standing near the wall; a dark silhouette against  a lighter wall. No features, just standing there. Thanks for the creep-out. Did someone hire you to do that shit??

Next was running along beside the darkened thickets on the hillside east of Quarry road on the approach to Hope River, then the bridge crossing and running through the park. There is a path that runs along the side of the hill, obscured by trees but open in places. There's also a small cave along there in an open area visible from the road. Bit more creep-out factor. 

Actually I'll fess up - I didn't run through the park. I totally pussied out there. I'm a big enough man to admit it. Along the black banks of the Hope Slough, the grasses higher than my waist and my flashlight failing me I thought it would be safer to stick to the road. I'm strictly talking about hidden foot hazards here. Safety first, people.

Hope River Road was a long stretch but I got a couple of good sprints in. Those were fun. I had that definite sense of 'pulling from the reserve' and finding more energy where the previous run there was less. I know this changes based on a number of factors, but it was very encouraging.

After the run it felt awesome to just sit in the backyard and cooldown; listening to the ambient noises on the street, neighbors talking. I swear I felt like a super-hero for a minute or two.

Total Distance: 4.4K / 2.7M
Duration: 37:10
Average Speed: 7.1km/h
Average Pace: 8:27
Burned: 515 Calories

Oh and 3 packs of underwear? Really? Do they need this many pairs of tighty-whiteys in the post-apocalyptic future? 

Here's a link to this run. Bonus Run

1 comment: